Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Who do I call when I need help?

Call UM Health Partners Member Services if you need help. We are there to talk to you Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 1-410-779-9369 or 10800-730-8530. TTY uses should call 711. If you think you need emergency care, call 911.

What if I am having trouble getting health care?

Call UM Health Partners Member Services. UM Health Partners is here to help you get the care you need. We have special programs to help our Members.

Who is University of Maryland Health Partners (UM Health Partners)?

UM Health Partners is a Maryland Managed Care Organization or MCO. UM Health Partners provides health care to people who are enrolled in the Maryland Medicaid HealthChoice program.

What is a MCO?

MCOs are health care organizations that work with doctors to make sure Medicaid recipients get the care that they need when they need it. MCOs work with doctors and other health care companies to provide covered services to their members. MCOs are responsible to provide or arrange for the full range of health care services.

What is a Primary Care Provider (PCP) or Specialist?

Primary Care Provider (PCP) – PCPs, also called family doctors, are general or family practitioners. Also, they can be internists, pediatricians, OB/GYNs, certified nurse midwives, and nurse practitioners. He or she will give checkups, medical advice, immunizations and referrals to specialists, when needed.

Specialist – A provider who has specific training beyond PCP training and can treat you for special medical conditions. Examples of specialists are obstetricians, dermatologists and podiatrists.

Specialty Care – Any care that is provided by a specialist. These services may or may not need a referral from your PCP. Specialty care services that do not need a referral are called “self-referral” services.

If you need more information about your PCP, specialist or other UM Health Partners provider please call Member Services at 1-410-779-9369 or 1-800-730-8530. Member Services Representatives can give you information about your practitioner including:

  • Contact information
  • Office locations
  • Professional qualifications
  • Medical specialty
  • Medical education and training
  • Board certification status

For female enrollees, if your PCP is not a women’s health specialist, you have the right to see a women’s health specialist within the UM Health Partners network without a referral for covered routine and preventive health care services.

How do I find a doctor that is in UM Health Partners' network?

You can search for a doctor using our website’s Provider Search feature. UM Health Partners also sends a directory of doctors and other health care providers to all members when they first enroll with UM Health Partners. Or, you can call Member Services at 1-410-779-9369 or 1-800-730-8530 to find a doctor. TTY users should call 711.

What happens if my current doctor is not in UM Health Partners' network?

You should call UM Health Partners Member Services at 1-410-779-9369 or 1-800-730-8530. TTY users should call 711. A member services representative can help you pick a doctor that is in UM Health Partners’ network.

How do I change my Primary Care Provider (PCP)?

You can change you Primary Care Provide (PCP) anytime that you want by calling UM Health Partners Members Services at 1-410-779-9369 or 1-800-730-8530. TTY users should call 711. It is not good to switch your Primary Care Provider (PCP) too many times because it is important for you to have a regular doctor who can really get to know you and help you get the care you need.